Search

Quick, Easy, Sight Word Storage


If your classroom is anything like mine, you have kids at all different levels! I teach grade 4/5 combined but I have kids working at a grade 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 level in English Language Arts. As you know, that can sometimes become slightly overwhelming!

Here is a quick trick to help you differentiate for your lowest students.


Each of my English Language Learners, working at a grade 1 level, has their own command hook stuck to their desk. This acts as storage for their sight words! I usually give them each around five words at a time. 

Anytime they want to do anything, they have to read me their sight words first. Want to go to the bathroom? Read me your sight words! Want to go get a drink of water? Read me your sight words!

It is working like a charm! Plus, when you add new words to the binder ring, the old ones are still there, which means constant revision!!

The best part is that they are easily accessible, but not stored in a spot where everyone can see. My students sometimes feel self conscious that they are working at a lower level. This helps them to learn at their level, without making them feel embarrassed. 

You can find a variety of Command Hooks on Amazon.




How do you differentiate your classroom to help all students learn? I would love to hear your ideas in the comments :)


No comments

Post a Comment